If you think you don’t like Brussels sprouts I’m willing to guess you haven’t had them prepared the right way. These roasted Brussels are the perfect balance of sweet and savory and the added kick from a dash of red pepper flakes gives them an incredible, caramelized flavor. This easy and delicious recipe will quickly become your go-to method for preparing these super healthy cruciferous vegetables. Brussels sprouts are an excellent anti-cancer food because of compounds they contain called glucosinolates. The glucosinolates give these vegetables their sulfur aroma which provides the liver with what it needs to get rid of toxins. When eaten these phytonutrients change the way estrogen is metabolized or broken down in the body. As a result, eating these vegetables is associated with a decreased risk of hormone or estrogen-related cancers. Cruciferous vegetables are also an important source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, which can lower disease risk so enjoy a serving of these vegetables daily!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2-4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp. honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat non-stick baking mat.
- Trim ends of Brussels sprouts and cut in half. Place them into a mixing bowl and drizzle with avocado oil. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey, and garlic.
- Pour mixture over the Brussels sprouts and toss until they are evenly coated and then arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast for around 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time, until the Brussels sprouts are tender and starting to turn a little crispy. Add time as needed.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!