Tis the season to enjoy this delicious, simple to prepare and highly nutritious veggie! The Japanese eggplant, a longer version of its better-known cousin, is one of my favorites. It contains lots of vitamin C, folate, potassium, manganese and the antioxidants that give it its purple color is great for brain health. Japanese eggplant also has thinner skin that is more easily digested and packed with fiber to keep you feeling full so be sure to try out this versatile veggie that your whole family will love!
- 3-4 Japanese eggplants
- 2-4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat non-stick baking mat https://www.amazon.com/Silpat-Premium-Non-Stick-Silicone-Baking/dp/B00008T960/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=241632967170&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9003447&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15125949691922080010&hvtargid=kwd-11267824275&keywords=silmat&qid=1556028158&s=gateway&sr=8-4
- Slice eggplants the long way and place on baking sheet flesh side up.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Whisk together the avocado oil, garlic and lemon juice and generously coat the flesh of the eggplants with the mixture.
- Roast in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until the insides are really soft and the skin gets slightly crisp. You can also broil them for a couple of minutes at the end to brown on top as well.
- Transfer eggplants to a plate and drizzle or spray with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with extra salt if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!