Sardines are so good for you! Hands down they are the safest fish on the planet. They are an excellent source of protein and are one of the highest sources of essential omega-3 fatty acids without having to worry about high levels of mercury or sustainability. Their health benefits include the prevention of heart diseases and certain types of cancers. They strengthen bones, boost the immune system, are loaded with antioxidant properties and rejuvenate the skin! A delicious way to eat them is in a salad like this one. The combination of color, shape, texture and flavor is as pretty as it is both delicious and healthful!
- 4 cups mixed field greens
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 can sardines in olive oil (I used Vital Choice)
- 2 radishes, sliced thinly
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup cut cauliflower florets
- 1 cup Brussel sprouts, halved
- 2 softly boiled eggs
- 1 bunch parsley chopped for garnish
- 3-4 tbsp. avocado for roasting vegetables
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss cauliflower and Brussel sprouts with avocado oil, salt and pepper and roast until golden brown. The cauliflower will take less time than the Brussel sprouts, about 25 min, so remove the cauliflower when it looks done and continue roasting the sprouts until they are done, for about another 15 min.
- While the vegetables are cooking, wash and roughly chop all lettuces and put in a large bowl. Add radishes and avocado.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Once water is boiling, gently place eggs in water and cook for 7 minutes. If you prefer the yolk less runny, cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove eggs from boiling water and place them in a bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking. Once slightly cooled, peel eggs and set aside as you prepare the dressing.
Preparation for the dressing:
- Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, garlic if using, salt and pepper.
- Add roasted veggies to the bowl and toss with dressing.
- Top with sardines and a boiled egg.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!